Hydrology & River Engineering
Cost-effective and sustainable river engineering solutions.
Our team have the expertise to deliver cost-effective and sustainable river engineering solutions that protect people and property while recognising ecological, social and cultural values. We offer specialist advice on erosion and sediment management through the complete project lifecycle which recognises our changing physical environment.
Services that we provide:
- Design of river engineering works including diversion channels, spillways, erosion protection and stopbanks
- Erosion and sediment control plans, gravel-bed river management, reservoir sedimentation, bridge scour and design of protection works
- Analysis and design of hydraulic structures including culverts, weirs, intakes, fish passes, energy dissipation and detention dams
- Design of irrigation systems including canals, check structures, pumps and storage reservoirs
- Catchment management plans including hydraulic and hydrological modelling, flood hazard mapping and assessment of climate change images
- Preparation of drawings, specifications and contract documents and construction supervision
- Project management of multi-disciplinary, multi-agency teams to deliver sustainable solutions for stakeholders
- Hydrological catchment modelling and assessment
- Open channel hydraulics assessment, including intake structures, constrictions, stop banks and culverts
- Resource consent application preparation
- Hydrogeological and hydrological assessment
- Assessments of Environmental Effects
- Expert assistance for consent hearings
Group Director - Water Resources
Hayden is a water resources scientist with more than 20 years of experience working in consultancy and for regional authorities. He has a wealth of experience in water resources management, hydrological analysis, and the assessment of discharges to freshwater and coastal environments. Having specialist monitoring experience, Hayden has carried out many complex water quality and water quantity assessments for various clients across New Zealand.
Hayden has been involved in many stormwater and water quality peer review projects for local and regional councils assessing large-scale infrastructure and land-use change. He has prepared and presented evidence at resource consent and plan change hearings.
Technical Director - Water Resources
Bas has 12 years of experience as a senior hydrologist/environmental scientist specialising in hydrology and hydraulic investigations. This experience has included irrigation demand-supply studies, flood assessments, rainfall-runoff modelling, hydraulic routing, site investigation, conceptual design and associated resource management (consenting) requirements.
Bas is involved in various projects related to the development and consenting of irrigation schemes, large and small-scale water supply, hydro-power and stormwater projects. He has extensive experience with many current hydrological and hydraulic modelling packages. He has been involved in several peer review projects for corporate clients, local and regional councils as well as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and has experience in preparing and presenting evidence at resource consent and plan change hearings.
Technical Director - Water Resources
Ramon is a Chartered Professional Engineer with 30 years of experience in civil engineering, primarily in the areas of river engineering/flood management and geotechnical engineering. That’s mainly been in Aotearoa but includes working in Australia, Indonesia and the UK. He is a member of Engineering New Zealand and the Rivers Group and is a member of the NZ Society on Large Dams (NZSOLD) management committee.
His experience encompasses both broader management approaches/ strategy development for river systems as well as the technical and practical/operational aspects. That encompasses modelling (physical scale and computational) and gravel/sediment transport to the design and construction of stopbanks, training structures, weirs/ drop structures and spillways. Ramon is also an experienced assessor of irrigation and detention dams.