Climate Change Sector
Climate Change is accelerating at a rapid pace. Across the world, we see fires, floods, tornados and other weather-related events having a massive impact on populations, wildlife and the world’s natural landscapes. Here in Aotearoa | New Zealand, we have seen floods, fires, high wind events, tsunamis and increasing droughts. All organisations and entities, from the government through to small businesses, will need to be ready to address the coming impacts of Climate Change.
Services that we provide:
- Climate change strategy and planning
- Carbon sequestration projects – wetland mapping, green infrastructure, assessment of blue carbon stocks, land use optimisation
- Greenhouse Gas emission reduction planning
- Advice on carbon offsetting options
- Planning and consenting to Greenhouse Gas emissions
- Climate Change Adaptation & Resilience planning
- Business asset risk assessment
- Coastal hazard impact modelling
- Saline intrusion impact assessment
- Flood risk assessment
- Resource consenting concerning Climate Change impacts
- Estimating the cost of retreat v built resilience
- Modelling managed retreat alongside protection options (move the city or build a seawall?)
Climate Change Lead
Chris has experience across climate change science, strategy, policy, and implementation in local and central government, and the private sector. He has had an interest in climate change since the early 1990s and worked directly in the climate change field for the last 15 years. He has a PhD in climate science and has represented New Zealand at international climate change negotiations, disaster risk reduction and science panels (UN and IPCC).
Chris was involved in developing the model that is used to estimate inflows into New Zealand’s hydro-lakes and has developed other models and tools to support decision-making and provide insights into patterns and trends. He has strong networks and can support clients in all aspects of climate change across all sectors of the environment, covering both emissions and impacts. Taking innovative strategic approaches to respond to climate change is a particular strength of Chris’s.